Lacking energy? Feeling sluggish and tired? All you want to do is sleep, but you have no time! This is so common in today’s society, but what can you do about it? Here are my top 10 tips to give you an energy boost in less than 5 minutes.
- Water – with an estimated 70% of people chronically dehydrated this simple technique is so critical to transport your nutrients to your cells and flush away toxins.
- Nutrient Supplementation – although any nutrition deficiency can lead to feeling sluggish the top energy nutrients are Vitamin B, Iron, CoEnzyme 10 and Iodine (specifically for thyroid dysfunctions).
- Cold showers or ice baths have been used by athletes and will supercharge your nervous system into action.
- Exercise is known for its health and energy benefits. Rather than hour long sessions, try short bursts. Some examples are; walking around the block, High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and even 30 secs of ‘fast and furious” movements.
- Breathing – would it surprise you to know that an estimated 80% of people do not breathe correctly? Take 5 minutes out to concentrate on belly or diaphragmatic breathing, which will ensure more oxygen transfer via the lower parts of the lungs.
- Legs up the wall (Viparita Karani) is an inverted yoga restorative pose well known for energy boosts and improved circulation.
- Visualisation – Create a peaceful state and remember a time when you were bursting with energy. Visualise how you felt, thought and acted. Expand on this memory and really feel your energy levels increase. Link the energy boost to the memory and remember this memory every time you need a lift.
- Essential oils – try some peppermint oil to give you that instant hit.
Things to Avoid
- Avoid stimulants like coffee, sugar and smoking. This flies in the face of popular practice, but it will combat the inevitable energy crash.
- Avoid toxins (coffee and alcohol) and food intolerances. It takes a significant amount of energy for the body to eliminate these which will take away from the other activities that you want to do.
Well done for having enough energy to finish reading these tips. Now try one, quick!!